httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject mod_rewrite docs
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:01:40 GMT
I've finally resurfaced, and am once again tinkering with the
mod_rewrite documentation. My goal is to have the rewrite guide be
full of actual useful real-world examples, and stuff that folks are
actually asking on IRC and the users@ list, and to have the
explanations be actual explanations, rather than just "don't think,
just do this" recipes.

I'd also like to get all of the stuff in the ill-fated
rewrite.drbacchus.com into either the real docs, or into the official
wiki, so that I can retire that hardware before it gives up the ghost.

So I expect for a while it will look like I'm just flailing about
aimlessly, but I have a general plan in mind, and I hope I'm moving in
that direction. Although one can hope that HTTPD 3.0 will make
mod_rewrite nothing more than an unpleasant memory, for the moment
it's one of our biggest support burdens, at least on IRC, and I
naively believe that this could be helped by better documentation, and
better examples.

I think I've decided to focus on the trunk docs, but if someone wanted
to apply patches to 2.2, I expect that there are folks who would
appreciate that. I don't know how cleanly the patches will apply back
to 2.0, but perhaps that's worth doing, too.

--Rich

We cause accidents.
(Nathaniel Borenstein)