httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <>
Subject Re: Image file translations
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:10:29 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
| Tony Stevenson wrote:
|> Agreed, this would seem to be the simplest and cleanest solution.
|> I'm not sure mucking about with language negotiation will offer us other
|> than additional headaches.
|> Then using ForceType will likely cause some browsers to make a right
|> royal hash of it all.  IE8 for example, refuses to display
|> instead offering to give me it's traditional red x.
| Keep in mind, too, that rendering these from the file system, our inverted
| file types are a real headache.   Ending in .png as suggested, or .html
| or whatnot is far more rational, and the original convention was certainly
| a flaw from the point of view of a browser reading our content locally.
Good point Bill, yes we do also need to make sure that the docs pages
can be viewed locally from the local FS.

To that point, I suggest that we use the following naming convention for
all non-English images:

foo.locale.extentsion -->

Thus incorporating locale, but still retaining the proper file extension
for local FS viewing.

- --Tony

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -