httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: <compatibility> rule ?
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 13:01:45 GMT
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Takashi Sato <takashi@lans-tv.com> wrote:
> Is there any fixed rule for <compatibility> ?
>
>  For example, a directive which is new feature of 2.2.
>  In this situation some doc says "Available in 2.2(.0) and later."
>  I believe it don't need to say it since the directive is available
>  in all patch versions of 2.2.
>  2.2 docs are for 2.2 users.
>
>  How about a directive which is introduced in 2.2.3 ?
>  I think 2.2 doc have to say "Available in 2.2.3 and later.".
>  2.3(trunk) doc don't for the same reason I mentioned above.
>
>  Some trunk doc says "Available in 1.3.x and later"...
>  <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/en/mod/mod_status.html>

There's no fixed rule. I tried, on the transition from 1.3 to 2.0, to
remove all the 1.3 and earlier compatibility statements, although I
obviously missed a couple.

If you'd like to set a policy, go ahead and set one. I wouldn't mind
saying that we track compatibility within major version numbers (so in
2.2 we would still say "available in 2.0.43 and later", but we would
drop all references to 2.x when moving to 3.0). But if you think it is
better to only track compatibility within 2.2, that is fine with me as
well.

Joshua.