httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Andrew Ford <A.F...@ford-mason.co.uk>
Subject Re: <compatibility> rule ?
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 10:21:34 GMT
This is a subject that I have been grappling with for the Apache Pocket
Reference.  I have written a perl script to scour the source trees for
command_recs and to report differences say between the 1.3.39, 2.0.61
and 2.2.8 trees, and in my DocBook source code.  It is a bit crude and
one has to interpret the output, but the original version I wrote for
the first edition of the APR pointed out a number of errors in my
coverage.  It also flags things like the ExcessRequestsPerChild and
GprofDir directives that are present but not documented.  It is limited
to the source trees that one has unpacked.

I would be happy to publish the script, once I've finished the book and
tidied the script up a bit.  I was thinking of extending it to poke into
the <compatibility> elements.

Andrew

Takashi Sato wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 09:01:45 -0400
> "Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
>

>> If you'd like to set a policy, go ahead and set one. I wouldn't mind
>> saying that we track compatibility within major version numbers (so in
>> 2.2 we would still say "available in 2.0.43 and later", but we would
>> drop all references to 2.x when moving to 3.0). But if you think it is
>> better to only track compatibility within 2.2, that is fine with me as
>> well.
>>

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:07:18 +0200
> Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:
>

>> I would prefer tracking major version. 2.0.x is still widely used and
>> there's quite a bit of confusion about the differences as it is.
>> Keeping it to major versions might help reduce the confusion.
>>

> OK.
> I don't believe it as strongly as I run without some consensus.
> I won't drop compat info between manor versions.

Andrew Ford,  Director    Pauntley Prints / Ford & Mason Ltd
A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk   South Wing Compton House
pauntley-prints.co.uk     Compton Green, Redmarley  Tel: +44 1531 829900
ford-mason.co.uk          Gloucester GL19 3JB       Fax: +44 1531 829901
refcards.com cronolog.org Great Britain          Mobile: +44 7785 258278