httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:09:35 GMT
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

>  I'm not going to put this to a PMC vote because I think it is
>  poisoness to the docs group to let a bunch of people who aren't
>  participating in documentation development make decisions on
>  inconsequential docs changes. This group can't function if the people
>  making the decisions aren't the ones doing the work.

I realize now that this statement was subject to misinterpretation and
I apologize for that. I don't mean to imply in any way that the docs
group and the PMC are separate entities with disjoint membership. We
are all part of the same project and the PMC is the ultimate decision
maker.

The way I should have phrased it is this: When people who aren't
working on a particular documentation issue try to control how it is
done, it takes the fun out of it for me. If it isn't fun, I'm probably
not going to do it.

In this particular case, what I thought was consensus about the new
www.apache.org design was actually created by people not expressing
their opinions. That is exactly why I sent the original mail: to check
that there was general agreement that this was a good base. Since this
agreement doesn't exist, I don't see any point in continuing. I don't
need a vote for that.

I don't know exactly how things should proceed from here. I'm
certainly not opposed to a design contest, but I'm also not optimistic
that it is going to happen unless someone has the time and energy to
invest in driving it. There has also been some suggestion that website
discussion belongs on dev@httpd. I believe that there is a greater
absolute number and greater percentage of people interested in website
issues here than on dev, but I don't have any objection to the issue
being discussed on dev instead.

In any case, I suggest that anyone who wants to discuss the website
design start a new thread with a new perspective. This one is a
dead-end.

Joshua.