httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:42:08 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > I know all these arguments, and I'm not going to get into them, except
> > to say that the vast majority of websites on the internet share every
> > one of these "flaws". Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
> > font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
> > http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
> > But I think most people would agree that this design looks less
> > "modern". Why? Because on the real internet, so many sites use a
> > smaller-than-default font size, that users think of the small size as
> > the real default and adjust their expectations and browser settings
> > accordingly.
> >

>  WTF?  No they don't.
>
>    http://modrails.com/index.html
>    http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/
>    http://wordpress.org/
>
>  Bad design is just bad, not modern.  I think these choices look remedial
>  on the ASF site, but I'm too busy to do better.  They look bad on a more
>  technical site like httpd.a.o (where I have already done better).

What are you talking about Roy? I don't want to get into this
argument, but just checking one of the those three example sites (the
last one), I found all three of the "flaws" that Nick was after: does
not reflow properly for very-small screens, sets font size to 62.5% of
the user's default, and uses the transitional DOCTYPE.

Whatever.

Joshua.