httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:59:54 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:04:09 -0400
>  "Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
>

>  > Here is a rough cut
>  > http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
>  > The links don't work, but you can type in the URLs with the obvious
>  > adjustment to see other pages.
>
>  -1 as-is.  Wearing my (admittedly old) web QA and accessibility hat.
>
>  First, if we're updating, then please don't let the update be
>  pre-1998 legacy (aka "transitional") markup.
>
>  Second, and more important, it loses the (imperfect but decent)
>  cleanness and accessibility of the current site.  The page has
>  lost flexibility, so the right hand side - including all the
>  useful links - disappears off the browser below a certain width.
>  And the smallprint is hard on the eye: body text should be what
>  the user has selected as comfortable to read.

I know all these arguments, and I'm not going to get into them, except
to say that the vast majority of websites on the internet share every
one of these "flaws". Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
But I think most people would agree that this design looks less
"modern". Why? Because on the real internet, so many sites use a
smaller-than-default font size, that users think of the small size as
the real default and adjust their expectations and browser settings
accordingly.

> And (to me) the
>  sections/headings are less distinct.
>
>  Having said that, I see some improvements on the old site:
>  in particular your use of headings, which is better for
>  automated tools and for things like screenreaders.  And
>  moving the links to the end in text-only mode is good,
>  though a single "jump to navigation" at the top would
>  improve it.

To be clear again: I didn't design this. It is adopted from
www.apache.org. I think it is a clear improvement, but I'm not going
to force it down people's throats.

Joshua.