httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:17:09 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>

> > Any objections to adopting the new www.apache.org site design? The
> > httpd site is looking a little dated, in my opinion.
> >

>  I don't think so.  Maybe I am going blind, but I find that style very
>  hard to read.  I prefer the larger font, white background, and original
>  feather graphics of our current site.  I seriously dislike the menu bar
>  and horizontal rules in the new design, and am absolutely -1 on any change
>  to our project logo (which is different from the ASF logo).

I know that you designed the project logo. I've never liked it. And I
think it is probably the most dated-looking thing on the site. It is
the thing I most want to get rid of. (There, I'm done insulting Roy.
;-)

For the rest of it, contributions are welcome. The www.apache.org
redesign has been positively received by the vast majority, although
there are always differences of opinion. I'm no designer myself, so
I've basically just adopted it whole-hog, with only a few
modifications (including the top menu bar).

I'm taking the -1 as a vote rather than veto, of course, since this is
a non-technical issue.

Mads: I have no plan of touching the docs (manual) pages. They already
have a relatively up-to-date design and they have a completely
different build system.

RĂ¼diger: There may be some .xml pages that need small adjustments
because of the changes in the meaning of the markup, but I think the
majority is fine.