httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:51:29 GMT
On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> We are all very busy people, and this kind of bike shedding doesn't
> get us anywhere.

We have a defined process for resolving paint colors for bike sheds.
We only use it when there is disagreement.  The only time this stuff
blows up is when people refuse to play by the same rules.

> I believe it is an improvement, and we can build incrementally on
> it, and work through the issues you and others have raised.
>
> Therefore, I am +1 adopting the design.

And I am -1 on adopting it.  So either change the proposal so that there
isn't a disagreement, abandon it entirely, or go over to dev and start a
vote on which design is better (old or new, majority rules).  Better
yet,
suggest a design contest wherein multiple designs can be submitted and
we'll choose one based on a simple preference vote. That way there is no
hurry, everyone's opinion is considered equally, and we don't have to
waste time on commit wars or agreeing to a new process of making our
decisions for CTR products.  And if you still think the bike shed looks
bad, then make another proposal (preferably a small one) and see if
anyone disagrees ... that's collaboration.

As long as you don't piss and moan about the process and the people
who we've already decided have the right to vote, then you won't be
crossing my role as chair (even if I think the result sucks).

....Roy