httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Vinko Vrsalovic" <vink...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:54:15 GMT
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Maxime Petazzoni <
maxime.petazzoni@bulix.org> wrote:

> Roy's idea here is good. Let's setup a design contest, with rules we
> will agree on (keeping the logo, accessibiliy, being xhtml1.1 compliant
> or whatever), and vote on the results. Sum up the vote, and commit the
> winner. End of story. And as every vote, some will be disappointed by
> the outcome, but at least it will be the result of the collaboration of
> our community.

The idea is great, the problem I see is that there will still be a lot of
disagreement over the set of objective measures that every contestant MUST
or SHOULD pass to enter.

In any case I think that just defining these guidelines (ie "Apache
project's web site accessibility and design guidelines") would be a worthy
goal, even if we end up keeping the old design and nobody enters the
potential contest. I do not know it such a thing is feasible.

If it is, then an incremental improvement work could occur to achieve what
the guidelines ended up defining. Of course the guidelines should talk only
about objective things. Looks and subjective things would be what a vote
would pick.

There seems to be agreement among a significant amount of people that the
design we've had for a long time is old and should be freshened up,
regardless of whether they agree or not with the current (and ONLY, so far)
proposal.

V.