httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject Re: adopt site design
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 22:29:31 GMT
On Apr 25, 2008, at 6:09 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> The way I should have phrased it is this: When people who aren't
> working on a particular documentation issue try to control how it is
> done, it takes the fun out of it for me.

You lost me there.  If you define a documentation task as a one-person
effort, then it will indeed be work (not fun) to try to satisfy the
desires of a bunch of other people. So, rather than expect everyone
else to suppress their own desires, change the task so that it isn't
a one-person effort.  It isn't quite the same as instant gratification,
but it feels better in the long run.

For example, I doubt that anyone would object to changing the output
so that it becomes easy to apply CSS skins.  I mean, there will
undoubtedly be some quibbles over small choices like which DOCTYPE
to use, but technical items like that are relatively easy to resolve
and don't require prior buy-in.  I am willing to work on that because
I like enabling parallel designs (and know how to tweak Anakia).

Other people can have fun coming up with new skins, and we can either
decide on a default or rotate a few of them.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message