httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@reppep.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r648946 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/rewrite/rewrite_guide_advanced.xml
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:19:05 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:24 AM, Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:29:36 -0400
>>  Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > Vincent Bray wrote:
>>  > > On 17/04/2008, pepper@apache.org <pepper@apache.org> wrote:
flag
>>  > >> if
>>  > >
>>  > > Why emphasise "e.g." throughout this patch? I don't see how that's
>>  > > correct or useful.
>>  >
>>  >       Because it's normally italicized in English.
>>
>>  Really?  Not IME.
>
> Garner's Dictionary of Modern American Usage suggests it should be unitalicized.

	I have seen it consistently italicized in print, presumably because
it's a non-English import, and I typically see untranslated words
italicized. I don't use <i> because back in the Before Time, there was
much ranting and gnashing of teeth over presentational markup, and I got

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ie-eg-oh-my.aspx

	I hope to do some more review on that doc (all 3 versions) tonight, and
will back out the <em>s soon.

						Chris
--
Chris Pepper:                <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>