httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Maxime Petazzoni <maxime.petazz...@bulix.org>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:26:33 GMT
[Ok, let's jump into the ring.]

Hi,

* Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> [2008-04-24 15:51:29]:

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 1:31 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>> We are all very busy people, and this kind of bike shedding doesn't
>> get us anywhere.
>
> We have a defined process for resolving paint colors for bike sheds.
> We only use it when there is disagreement.  The only time this stuff
> blows up is when people refuse to play by the same rules.

I'm not really sure people here realize how insane this discussion here.
No offense, but you look like a bunch of kids fighting in a playground.
Where is the wisdom and professionalism we've been use too ?

If you stand back just a little, you will quickly see that this is going
nowhere. Almost everyone is standing on its position.

Joshua, I think that in the light of the first couple of -1s you should
have called for a clear vote on this thing. It may, or may not, have the
thing commited, and then people could start incrementally improve it,
since the site is CTR.

>> I believe it is an improvement, and we can build incrementally on it,
>> and work through the issues you and others have raised.
>>
>> Therefore, I am +1 adopting the design.
>
> And I am -1 on adopting it.  So either change the proposal so that there
> isn't a disagreement, abandon it entirely, or go over to dev and start a
> vote on which design is better (old or new, majority rules).  Better
> yet,
> suggest a design contest wherein multiple designs can be submitted and
> we'll choose one based on a simple preference vote. That way there is no
> hurry, everyone's opinion is considered equally, and we don't have to
> waste time on commit wars or agreeing to a new process of making our
> decisions for CTR products.  And if you still think the bike shed looks
> bad, then make another proposal (preferably a small one) and see if
> anyone disagrees ... that's collaboration.

For different reasons than just its design, I'm -1 on the new design.
But I do agree that the site may need to follow us into the 21st
century!

Roy's idea here is good. Let's setup a design contest, with rules we
will agree on (keeping the logo, accessibiliy, being xhtml1.1 compliant
or whatever), and vote on the results. Sum up the vote, and commit the
winner. End of story. And as every vote, some will be disappointed by
the outcome, but at least it will be the result of the collaboration of
our community.

- Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>