httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:25:18 GMT
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:59:54 -0400
"Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

>  Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
> font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
> http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/

Yes, that addresses my most important criticisms.
I can withdraw -1, but am not yet ready to say +1:

*  it's still "transitional"!!!!!
*  why the **** are all the links made *bold*?
*  why the whitespace at both sides, even with a narrow
   browser window?
*  Going straight from <h1> to <h4> breaks structure.
*  That purple link colour is rather too close to
   traditional/default "visited link" colour for
   optimum usability.

I'm also not very enthusiastic about the aesthetics.
But I make no claim to be any judge of that!

> But I think most people would agree that this design looks less
> "modern".

FSVO "modern" around 1997?

>    Why? Because on the real internet, so many sites use a
> smaller-than-default font size, that users think of the small size as
> the real default and adjust their expectations and browser settings
> accordingly.

I think that basically all happened when early MSIE versions
had ridiculously large default text, among other defects.
What we have now is a hangover from that.

> To be clear again: I didn't design this. It is adopted from
> www.apache.org. I think it is a clear improvement, but I'm not going
> to force it down people's throats.

Different baseline.  The old www.apache.org wanted a facelift,
but httpd.apache.org had a much better startingpoint.

The other consideration is the auto-generated documentation
that makes up most of the site.  It is amongst the best-designed
techie pages anywhere on the Web, so we definitely shouldn't
be messing with them unless you have a much stronger vision
than aligning them with www.apache.org (no matter how good
that becomes).  Adapting the front page to the standard of
the docs would seem a better goal.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/