httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:17:21 GMT
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:04:09 -0400
"Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> Here is a rough cut
> http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
> The links don't work, but you can type in the URLs with the obvious
> adjustment to see other pages.

-1 as-is.  Wearing my (admittedly old) web QA and accessibility hat.

First, if we're updating, then please don't let the update be
pre-1998 legacy (aka "transitional") markup.

Second, and more important, it loses the (imperfect but decent)
cleanness and accessibility of the current site.  The page has
lost flexibility, so the right hand side - including all the
useful links - disappears off the browser below a certain width.
And the smallprint is hard on the eye: body text should be what
the user has selected as comfortable to read.  And (to me) the
sections/headings are less distinct.

Having said that, I see some improvements on the old site:
in particular your use of headings, which is better for
automated tools and for things like screenreaders.  And
moving the links to the end in text-only mode is good,
though a single "jump to navigation" at the top would
improve it.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/