httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: adopt www.apache.org site design
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:21:26 GMT
On Apr 23, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Joshua Slive wrote:
> I know all these arguments, and I'm not going to get into them, except
> to say that the vast majority of websites on the internet share every
> one of these "flaws". Two small changes to the CSS got rid of the
> font-size and reflow issue, as you can see from
> http://people.apache.org/~slive/httpd-site/docs/
> But I think most people would agree that this design looks less
> "modern". Why? Because on the real internet, so many sites use a
> smaller-than-default font size, that users think of the small size as
> the real default and adjust their expectations and browser settings
> accordingly.

WTF?  No they don't.

    http://modrails.com/index.html
    http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/
    http://wordpress.org/

Bad design is just bad, not modern.  I think these choices look remedial
on the ASF site, but I'm too busy to do better.  They look bad on a more
technical site like httpd.a.o (where I have already done better).

....Roy