httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: On line docs
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:22:58 GMT

On Oct 4, 2007, at 09:31, Erik Abele wrote:

>> To clarify, the stuff directly under /docs/ (with no version number)
>> is not the "default" docs; it is a bunch of legacy urls that redirect
>> to the canonical location of what once lived there. None of our
>> content should currently link there, and it should never be used for
>> anything.
>
> Right, and a grep on the logs for September shows that only 0.99%
> [1] of all requests to /docs/* are affected, so really negligible.

That is a surprising statistic, and is quite different from my gut
feeling about how it would be. Thanks for providing actual data. It
certainly puts things on a more useful footing. I'd be interested to
see the trend over time, but I'm reasonably sure we'd see this number
shrink.

>> On the other hand, feal very free to spruce up the /docs/ index page,
>> and perhaps also update the ssi header include file used in the 1.3
>> docs. It currently says "Is this the version you want? For more
>> recent
>> versions, check our documentation index." I believe it could say "You
>> are reading the documentation for an obsolete version of the server.
>> For the current version, check our documentation index."
>
> Yep, I think this is the best we can/should do.

+1

I know, I'm one of the ones who in the first place wanted /docs to go
to /docs/current but I find myself in agreement with Joshua's
explanation of how things are and should be.

--
If you miss this moment
You miss your life