httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <pct...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Solr to index and search the Apache HTTPD Documents
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:47:41 GMT
Evening all,

Chris, thanks for all your hard work on this so far, I know you have put
in an inordinate amount of time so far. The demo site, and the plugin we
now use for fajita (#apache's loyal bot servant) are working very well.

Justin, as noodl pointed out this was suggested back in June of this
year, and I agreed to take on the task of seeing if we could, the httpd
docs at least, use solr as a replacement for the current search.

Alas, my wedding kind of sapped all my free time, and Chris here kindly
took the mantle, and ran with it.  He has put in a huge amount of work
to get it this far and has produced a working viable alternative to the
current "hacked-up google based search we currently use.

On the maintenance aspect of things, I am more than happy to throw my
towel into the mix to help maintain this, and I am sure there are
several others (noodl?) who would help out where needed too.

Granted the project needs a JVM of 1.5 or higher, and this is not
currently installed on either EOS, or AURORA.  It also requires an
Application server (such as Tomcat) which supports the Servlet 2.4
standard.  We (Chris) has been testing this with Jetty, but I am sure
there would not be too much more work involved in getting Tomcat in
place, if that were deemed to be preferable...

As Chris has already stated, we don't need to load any of these directly
onto any publicly facing machines, and thus not only removing any load
from the two web servers, but also taking the core of the search one
step removed from the public.

So in summary what I guess I am trying to say is that I am very much a
'+1' on this.

Originally Sander was going to help me with the Infra@ part of getting
this in place were we successful in getting it working. Sander you still
up for helping with it?

Justin, what else, or other information do you want from either Chris,
or myself?  We want to try this in place, even if it is only the httpd
docs project to start with. It's a good place with which to start, if it
proves successful it could easily be expanded to include further
projects, or even for the main www.apache.org site.

It would be a great shame to see all this effort that has been put into
making this work, fizzle out into nothing.  I now have time to help get
this into production use, give the chance, with a little help from Infra
of course.

If there is anything you want to see, or hear before we can take this
further, please, just say so.

Cheers,
Tony