httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject On line docs
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:48:47 GMT
Good day one and all,

With the threads [1] on dev@ discussing the end of 1.3 support,
gathering some pace, I wanted to re-raise something that really bugs me
just as I know it does other too.

When going to http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod-foo.html it defaults to
the 1.3 version of the documentation, I would like to see this either
removed, or people are redirected to 2.2 at least.  This could be
changed at a later date, as and when the next major release, is er,
released.

We would need to ensure that /docs/mod-foo.html is not directly
referenced anywhere, either in the online docs, or with the src that
ships with each tarball.

We already have a page at /docs/ with links too

/docs/1.3/
/docs/2.0/
/docs/2.2/
/docs/trunk/

Maybe this page could be 'spruced' up a little to make it more
informative, and more likely to lead people in the right direction.

Redirecting to 1.3 by default could be seen to be implying that this is
what 'they' should be reading and/or using, is this really what we want?

I am trying to think of a way to handle the people who would still go to
/docs/mod-foo.html, possibly redirecting them to a "handling/routing
function" where they select the version of HTTPd that they want to see
the documentation for, for that explicit module/page.  A simple PHP page
perhaps?

A second method we could use (thanks for reminding me of the obvious
megaspaz) is to use a rewritecond,  to check for /docs/(1.3|2.0|2.2|)
and rewrite those without to a landing page, showing how to find the
version of the docs they want.

Alternatively, we could stop forcing a default version of the docs on
people, and stop /docs/mod-foo.html from working altogether

I am not trying to open a huge can of worms here, just merely expressing
an interest.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Tony