httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Mads Toftum <m...@toftum.dk>
Subject Re: wiki: RedirectSSL request to move out of scratchpad
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:10:34 GMT
On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 05:51:21PM +0200, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:
> I'd like to see http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/RedirectSSL moved out of the
> scratchpad.
> I don't know (yet) how to do it myself or that it is even safe to move out
> of it.
>
> Anybody want to look at it?
>
> (I don't think any work is needed except maybe some spelling mistakes I let
> slip in)

There's several things that needs fixing:

"Let's say you want [WWW] http://www.example.com/secure/ to always be
sent over SSL"

and then the example goes on to suggest redirecting the whole vhost - as
in the "solution" doesn't match the problem statement.
The second example isn't exactly very good either - the way it is set
up, it looks as if you have shared documentroots between the http and
the https vhost, but then what du you suppose happens if you have a
redirect inside the https vhost as well:
"Redirect permanent /login https://mysite.example.com/login"
I'd probably also mention SSLRequireSSL:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslrequiressl

As for the practical bits with moving things back and forth in wikis, I
have no clue, I still think wikis are a bad idea - we obviously don't
get much in the way of reviews there.

vh

Mads Toftum
--