httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Clarification on NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost sections
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:39:16 GMT
On 9/22/07, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz@patch.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd supply a patch, but I don't know which of:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#virtualhost
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/ ...
> is appropriate.
>
> I believe the statement:
>
>   If a <VirtualHost> block does not contain a ServerName statement the hostname
>   of the computer will be used.

Not quite. It should be "Each <VirtualHost> block should contain a
ServerName. If it is absent, the ServerName from the main server
configuration will be used." That should probably go just in the
<VirtualHost> docs, since the name-based docs make is pretty-clear
that a ServerName is needed.

I have indeed stumbled into this myself while debugging someone's
configuration, so I agree it should be documented. I'll try to do it
myself.

Joshua.