httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Ban the phrase "reverse-proxy"?
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:32:27 GMT
On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:55 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

>> At the minimum, I plan to notate "reverse-proxy (e.g. gateway
>> server)"
>> liberally throughout the explanation pages of the module and guides.
>
> Thats fine, but please keep the term reverse-proxy in parallel for
> the reasons
> stated by others here. It may be a silly and incorrect term, but in
> contrast to
> gateway in this context it is widely used and (at least many :-))
> people do know
> what it means.

Actually, very few people know what it means, which is why we end up
with so many poorly designed extensions to mod_proxy that really
should be in a separate module called mod_gateway.  They have nothing
to do with each other aside from the poor choice Netscape made in
marketing their HTTP gateway product as a "reverse proxy".

....Roy