httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: translation problem
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:57:52 GMT

On Aug 4, 2007, at 6:48 AM, Lucien GENTIS wrote:

> I am translating manual/caching.xml (branche 2.2) for the french
> translation project and I encounter a problem translating "But then
> this is the point of caching content in the first place" (line 110)
> because I don't really understand the meaning of the phrase,
> regarding its context.

The lines above that statement discuss how a cached resource is
served based on a URL comparison.  No other processing stages take
place, like (as the page mentions) URL manipulation by mod_proxy or
mod_rewrite, or authorization, dynamic content generation (PHP, CGI,
JSP) etc.

The point (see <http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/point>, mostly 1 and 3)
of caching a resource is to do the expensive stuff (fetching from a
back-end proxy, regular expression based rewrites, running a
scripting language to generate a page based on database information)
once, put the result in the cache and serve it from the cache on
subsequent requests.

Thanks for helping out with the translation.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org