httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Vincent Bray" <nood...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ban the phrase "reverse-proxy"?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:19:29 GMT
On 01/08/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> At the minimum, I plan to notate "reverse-proxy (e.g. gateway server)"
> liberally throughout the explanation pages of the module and guides.

I guess the right place for this is the glossary which has no mention
of 'gateway' in this context at all.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/glossary.html

Then perhaps, rather than getting overly verbose in the rest of the
manual with "reverse-proxy (e.g. gateway server)" just a link to the
glossary entry?

While I'm -0 to changing the usage of the term throughout the docs
because it's widely understood, I'm also aware that "it worked before
and still does so why change it?" is used by the php docs team to
justify ignoring the 10 year history of AddHandler in favour of
AddType.

--
noodl