httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Your HTTPD wiki page
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:14:59 GMT

On Aug 9, 2007, at 10:09, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> Taken from http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Contributing
>
> External links are acceptable if they add substantial value, but do
> not link to your own site or otherwise seek private benefits from
> external links.
>
> So I guess thats the policy

The 'add substantial value' thing is intentionally open to
interpretation. We, the documentation team, need to be at liberty to
determine when a particular site offers substantial value, and when
it promotes practices that we believe are a bad idea, are harmful to
security or performance, or are just in opposition to things that we
recommend in the documentation.

For many years, I would contact people who had recommendations on
their website that I considered worst practice - things like "chmod
everything 777", using <Limit GET POST> blocks for authentication,
and the like. After a while I grew weary of this, and hardly ever do
it any more. It's an endless crusade. But we can draw the line at
linking to sites of that kind, and offering implied endorsement of
their recommendations.

I'm far less concerned about the financial gain from these sites,
except when people are adding links to our site for that sole purpose.

--
Speech is conveniently located midway between thought and action,
where it often substitutes for both.