httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: HTTPD Wiki Pages
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:36:35 GMT

Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 17/08/07, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:
>> Earlier today whilst reading through some of the infra@ postings I
>> happened across a mail which was referring to another wiki platform that
>> the ASF use.  CWIKI.
>
> What's this cwiki gubbins? Looks like confluence to me. I've never
> used it as it's rather expensive for non-oss use.

That is exactly what it is.

> I not particularly familliar with either wiki's internals, but moin
> appears to use caching of some sort, hence the 'Delete Cache' option
> in the 'More Actions:' select list?

This was something I picked up from an infra@ mail.  Though I think it
may no longer be an issue.

> Isn't having separate URLs for cached and non-cached pages an
> unnecessary hack? Why can't the wiki delete static pages on update?

What I meant was, users are not directed to the wiki pages as your or I
would edit, they are sent to exported HTML files which would mean faster
access, and better caching.  With other options like being usable
(possibly) with a docs build process somehow, so if wiki pages are ever
promoted to the official docs we could have a simple process.

> I'm not particularly enamoured with moin, partly because of its wierd
> linking syntax, but don't know enough about either to vote, so, +0.

I agree, Moin can be rather painful at times.  It's clunky interface,
and as you rightly point out things like it's odd linking syntax all
make me want to look at anything that may be better.  Hence my original
idea.

Just wanted to scope opinion that's all.