httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Your HTTPD wiki page
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:49:39 GMT
Webmaster wrote:

> [...]

As you read from Roy, you won't be MrApache, AskApache, or ApacheGod.
Nor will anyone else, please don't feel singled out.

Secondly; create a user page for yourself after you have added sufficient
content and contribution -to- the wiki.  Otherwise, it's self promotion.
That's essentially why others have found your wiki-abuse so intollerable.

> I still would like to know where it says we aren't allowed to link to
> our homepages on our userpages.

The wiki exists for the PROJECT's benefit.  Not for yours.  Find another
platform for self promotion.

Since the registrants of askapache.com (yourself) did not obtain permission
to misuse the Apache mark, no link to that domain will be permitted, nor
one click removed.

Register helpredcross.com and you will be treated similarly by another
organization.  Once again, this isn't personal, just generically offensive.

> Anyway so just a couple hours after I created my mrapache user
> page it was jumped all over and erased.  MY plan was to just start quietly
> contributing to the wiki and never post external links to any site ever.

Well, you posted one on your first commit.  Problem solved, the community
at docs@ who will review your contributions and give you leave to post them
to the wiki will also determine when you have enough merit to add a userpage.

> The point is apache is open source and open to all, and wiki's were made so
> that many people could collaborate.  It doesn't have to be 100% perfect the
> first time every time, thats why there are editing/reverting/history/etc..
> features..

Right, as long as you respect when the moderators edit/revert.  When they
do so, you don't undo a moderator's edits, or you lose your karma.

You have a horrible track record in that respect, and you aren't winning
friends by abusing wiki editing privileges.  This is *not* the public's
wiki, it is the Apache httpd Project's wiki.  Participate *with* the
project (this list) or depart already.

Bill