httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: mod_cgi reference doc mentions old mimetype hack
Date Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:43:06 GMT
On 7/1/07, Vincent Bray <noodlet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> mod/mod_cgi.xml has in the first sentence:
>
> Any file that has the mime type application/x-httpd-cgi or handler
> cgi-script (Apache 1.1 or later) will be treated as a CGI script,
>
> Can we remove the reference to the mime type, given that this hack
> hasn't been necessary for over ten years? Note that the docs don't
> mention the deprecated "Options RunScripts" anywhere, even though the
> server supports it :-)

We have a general policy of not "un-documenting" supported features.

But I thing it would be a great idea to remove that mention in the
first sentence and include somewhat later a statement like "For
backward-compatibility, the cgi-script handler will also be activated
for any file with the mime-type application/x-httpd-cgi. The use of
the magic mime-type is deprecated."

Joshua.