httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_balancer
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:30:04 GMT

On 06/19/2007 11:48 AM, Nóirín Plunkett wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm contemplating the docs for mod_proxy_balancer, and finding them
>> quite inscrutable. Not only do they lack any actual example
>> configurations, but they hint at fancy configurations, without giving
>> any hint as to how to actually accomplish them. Clearly, some of my
>> confusion stems from the fact that BalancerMember is a directive of
>> mod_proxy, not mod_proxy_balancer -- or at least, according to server-
>> info it is -- but it's not listed in the mod_proxy documentation.
>> Indeed, it doesn't seem to be listed at all in the 2.2 documentation
>> under any module.
>

> This is because I'm a bad person/got very confused[1], and then got
> distracted, and never remembered to backport the fix to trunk (r515251, I
> think)
>
> I also never got much further than is in that commit, in terms of useful
> documentation/examples.
>

>> Can someone set me straight? I have some functional examples from
>> various tutorials, but it would be really nice to have working
>> examples in the documentation, rather than vague allusions to cool
>> functionality. This is a wonderful module, and we need to help people
>> use it.
>>
>> Who should I be speaking with, and is he/she on this list?
>

> It does look to be a rather funky feature - Colm knows a good bit about it,
> but what I've managed to get from him makes it sound a little like a new
> mod_rewrite[2]!

I am also partly to blame for this as I worked on its code without taking care
to extend the documentation accordingly. So it has a lot of "hidden" features
and an less then optimal documentation.

The following threads from dev in the past days are some examples:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200706.mbox/%3c4673FEA8.9000303@apache.org%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200706.mbox/%3c370D364C-5F96-45D4-9D01-BA50139C50EC@e-tunity.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/200706.mbox/%3c3B21A253728EA247A10A692547A271538DCBB5@EITO-MBX03.internal.vodafone.com%3e

So Rich, Noirin if you want to work on this documentation this would be really great.
Feel free to bug me with questions about it and I try to do my very best to help this way
to improve the documentation.

Regards

Rüdiger (being lousy and lazy writing documentation)