httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@temme.net>
Subject Re: search engine in apache docs
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:33:23 GMT
Rich Bowen wrote:

> I wonder, also, whether it would be possible to run solr, since it's
> actually an Apache project. However, having never had any success
> getting it working on my own servers, that might be a can of worms.

Firmly +1 on dogfooding.  If *we* can't get Solr to work, who can?  I
mean it's our project, right?  Even if it's from the Java Weenie side?

Regarding Google, who's making the money from the searches?  I came
across a $100M figure that Firefox is making from the search box in the
browser.  While we'd obviously not be flying that high, would the ASF be
entitled to any such revenue from our own search box, or the individual
who happens to own the account?

More than nit-picking over the money (I know Apache doesn't monetize
terribly well anyway), I'm interested in the construction an
organization like Mozilla is using vis-a-vis Google.

S.