httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Craig McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Issue] External links @ the wiki, aka pagechange wars
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 07:37:34 GMT
On 5/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> [...]

> AskApache and megaspaz decided to start a pagechange war tonight, but the
> first point is to decide if such external 'helpful pages' are welcome.
>
> If so, AskApache was in the right, if not, megaspaz is right.  Either way,
> I immediately asked for infra to shutter the wiki to write access until this
> was resolved as a matter of POLICY.
>
> Once we determine a policy, I belive we owe megaspaz and AskApache a second
> chance once they are informed of the definative policy.
>
> Future wiki abuse would, of course, lead to account and IP blockage.  But
> I believe at this moment both acted in best-faith without any guidance from
> our project, and we need to have policies so folks can be responsible wiki
> users.
>
> This isn't the end-all of all possibilities, but let's discuss for 2 days
> and reopen the wiki with a concrete policy?

If a Wiki isn't open to community input ( where "community" here means
*users*, not the typical Apache definition of "community" meaning the
*committers*), then what is it for?  Committers can already post to
the project website itself, so they do not need any extra mechanism to
describe things that might be interesting.  Content from users, on the
other hand, can be either solicited (in which case external links are
perfectly ok) or censored (in which case nobody need bother ... they
can publish their own links on their own blogs, and let Google help
information seekers instead of the ASF helping them).

In the Apache projects I'm involved with, the only thing we kick off
of the wiki pages is spam.  It's a wiki ... it's user contributed
content, and not necessarily reflective of the opinions of the
project's developers.  But it is *incredibly* useful to the users of
the software we build.  Deal with that reality ... or close it down
... your choice.