httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Rewrite Docs
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 21:31:49 GMT
On 5/29/07, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> After my last few patches lacked the necessary gusto to be comitted (due
> to my less than perfect English),

I think it is more just a question of nobody getting around to it.
Obviously that needs to change.

> I have been plugging away on the
> rewrite docs, the ones that no one wants to touch.  I have noticed a
> common theme throughout the exisiting documents that relate mod_rewrite
> to voodoo/magic.
>
> In my hacked-up/new versions I have removed all references to this.  I
> just feel it outsthe frighteners on people, before they really should be
> scared.
>
> I guess what I am trying to ask, is, does anyone have any objections this?

I actually don't see that many voodoo references in the current docs.
Can you be a little more specific about what you are referring to?

I do think it needs to be made clear up front that mod_rewrite is
complicated and can easily mess up your server. That doesn't mean you
shouldn't use it; it means you should understand it well and test it
thoroughly.

By the way, I assume you are talking about the reference docs. The
"practical solutions" docs should be transferred to the wiki along
with Rich's stuff, in my opinion.

Joshua.