httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [Issue] External links @ the wiki, aka pagechange wars
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 15:39:48 GMT
On 5/24/07, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On May 24, 2007, at 04:23, Tony Stevenson wrote:
>

> > AskApache has had several email conversations with both myself, and
> > Rich.  In which he was asked politely, but firmly to not use links
> > to content on his site.
>
> NOTE: NOT because external links are bad, but because the articles to
> which he was linking were misleading, incorrect, and promoted sub-
> optimal solutions to common problems. The implied endorsement (The
> Apache docs link to this article, so it must be true) was
> unfortunate, and undesirable.

Although I respect Bill's desire to have this solved apache-wide, I
actually think that this case would have been better addressed in the
closer confines of docs@httpd. Let's just address this particular case
and not worry about the general issue for now.

The Apache wiki is not some democratic exercise like wikipedia where
we need to treat everyone equally. We are a meritocracy, not a
democracy, even on the wiki. Certain people (like Rich) have earned
the right to make final decisions about what should be on the wiki.
AskApache has not earned that right.

The content that he is adding is inappropriate (and violates my
suggested policy) for many reasons. I suggest that someone email him
and tell him that he is henceforth banned from:

1) Making any links to his personal site; and
2) Reverting any change made by someone else (even if that change is a
reversion of his change).

If he can't live with those rules, he can be banned for good.

If you would like me to send this email (as someone who has not
interacted with him before) I'd be fine with that (although I don't
know his address).

Joshua.