httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [Issue] External links @ the wiki, aka pagechange wars
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 12:05:30 GMT
On 5/24/07, Yoav Shapira <yoavs@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> > On 5/23/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> > > We have a serious issue to determine, and I've asked for a 48 hour cooldown
> > > of wiki.apache.org/httpd/ to make a decision, and in the meantime asked that
> > > the wiki become read-only for the conclusion of this decision.
> > >
> > >  [ X  ] Our httpd wiki is open to external resources for httpd.
> > >  [  ] External httpd resources are prohibited.
> <snip />
> > If a Wiki isn't open to community input ( where "community" here means
> > *users*, not the typical Apache definition of "community" meaning the
> > *committers*), then what is it for?  Committers can already post to
>
> I Agree with Craig.

I think there is a clear and reasonable middle ground:

External links are encouraged where they add substantial value, but
you may not link to your own pages or otherwise seek private benefits
from external links.

This has been the unwritten rule in the apache httpd docs for as long
as I remember. I have personally added many external links to the
regular docs to things written by apache contributors, but not to my
own pages.

Joshua.