httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Vincent Bray" <nood...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rewrite wiki
Date Sun, 27 May 2007 01:04:45 GMT
On 27/05/07, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:
> Noodl, what were you thinking?  Having a rewrite FAQ in the wiki, with
> commonly seen questions and answers (taken from #apache and the users
> list)?
> With the main docs containing a few of these, but with a link to the
> wiki FAQ for more examples, whilst still containing the main essence of
> the current rewrite docs.

Yes, exactly that. Start with explaining FAQs that aren't very well
covered in the official docs. Stuff like:

 * Difference between rewrite uris in per-directory and per-server contexts
 * How to map all (except perhaps a few) uris to a script/handler
 * How to avoid looping

Those are probably the three most common rewrite questions on #apache
but aren't well covered in the docs.

> I have started to hack up some newer rewite docs pages, but will hold
> back on submitting anything until I have a better understanding of the
> topic itself.  These pages are rather a daunting read, let alone to
> write them.

It's not an easy subject to document. Perhaps a rewrite specific
scratchpad on the wiki would help to iron out issues before submitting
them here for inclusion?

> > While you discussed this maybe also discussed on changes to the front
> > page.
> > It doesn't really look inviting and is a bit confusing at first to see
> > where what is located.
> >

> Jorge, what did you have in mind exactly?  More descriptive text? Fewer
> 'cateogries'?
> This wiki has the potential to become even more productive.  When we
> first started populating it, there were a few growing pains as things
> were scattered about in some rather adhoc manner.
> Now that there is sunstantially more material, and more people helping
> to maintain it, now maybe a good time to have an open discussion.  Not
> just on structure, but content, and usage to name but a few.
>
> Do the 'categories' need renaming? They have already have two or three
> iterations, and have renamed mainly the same for the last four months or
> more.  But as others get involved maybe these need a further revision?

I don't like that at the moment the sections of the wiki hold only
distinct pages. There's no reason why for example RailsLoader (not
that it's very useful) shouldn't be in rewrite, recipes and third
party. It would be easy enough to link to it from each of those, but
perhaps we could let moin do it for us? The moin wiki has the ability
to collate all pages with a specific category already, for example
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/CategoryHomepage so perhaps that could
work for the navigation once each page is tagged up?

--
noodl