httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Rewrite Docs
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 21:39:08 GMT

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Tony Stevenson <tony@pc-tony.com> wrote:
>> Ok,
>>
>> After my last few patches lacked the necessary gusto to be comitted (due
>> to my less than perfect English),
>
> I think it is more just a question of nobody getting around to it.
> Obviously that needs to change.
>
>> I have been plugging away on the
>> rewrite docs, the ones that no one wants to touch.  I have noticed a
>> common theme throughout the exisiting documents that relate mod_rewrite
>> to voodoo/magic.
>>
>> In my hacked-up/new versions I have removed all references to this.  I
>> just feel it outsthe frighteners on people, before they really should be
>> scared.
>>
>> I guess what I am trying to ask, is, does anyone have any objections
>> this?
>
> I actually don't see that many voodoo references in the current docs.
> Can you be a little more specific about what you are referring to?
>
> I do think it needs to be made clear up front that mod_rewrite is
> complicated and can easily mess up your server. That doesn't mean you
> shouldn't use it; it means you should understand it well and test it
> thoroughly.

I agree, I have struggled to get my head around it.  Coming from a
Winows background, regexp and the likes are not very common place
tools.  But I am getting there, which is part of the reason for me
wanting to work on these docs, a) to try and improve them where
possible,  b) to improve my knowledge of mod_rewrite.

> By the way, I assume you are talking about the reference docs. The
> "practical solutions" docs should be transferred to the wiki along
> with Rich's stuff, in my opinion.

Yes, I was referring to the reference docs.  Not example, and the such
like that need to be migrated over to the wiki.