httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Rewrite Docs
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 20:46:59 GMT

Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 09:24:31PM +0100, Tony Stevenson wrote:
>
>> Ok,
>>
>> After my last few patches lacked the necessary gusto to be comitted (due
>> to my less than perfect English), I have been plugging away on the
>> rewrite docs, the ones that no one wants to touch.  I have noticed a
>> common theme throughout the exisiting documents that relate mod_rewrite
>> to voodoo/magic.
>>
>> In my hacked-up/new versions I have removed all references to this.  I
>> just feel it outsthe frighteners on people, before they really should be
>> scared.
>>
>> I guess what I am trying to ask, is, does anyone have any objections this?
>>

> Yeah, I do have a objection ... how is Rich going to sell his book if
> you make it all easy? ;)
> Kidding aside, I don't really like that you're stripping the "soul" of
> the original doc. For many people, mod_rewrite is difficult to grasp and
> tricking them into thinking that it isn't won't help one bit.
> As it is, someone else has already stripped more than enough of the
> original warnings and I'd be +1 to keeping the ones that are still there
> today.

Sorry, I think the point has been missed here.  I had no intention of
pinching Richs' ability to produce a good book.
Nor do I intend to strip the soul of the documents, more rather remove
the references to voodoo and magic.

Believe you me, I of all people, fully appreciate how difficult it is to
grasp mod_rewrite.

I guess I am ust trying to demystify the whole thing.

--
Tony