httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Tony Stevenson" <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Rewrite Docs
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 13:48:59 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2007 2:30 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 09:29:34AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
>>
>>> Could this all be done in the official docs? Sure. Will it get done
>>> there? I doubt it. This type of documentation (example configs solving
>>>  particular problems) is exactly the place where the wiki excels.
>>>
>>> So, Mads, can you explain how you see these docs evolving?
>>>

>> I'm not going to get into a long rant about why I don't like wikis -
>> one only has to review the recent thread here to see why... That being
>> said, if something useful evolves in the wiki, I'm all for pulling it
>> back into the httpd docs.
>
> I'm not a big fan of wikis either. But if you are going to look at
> evidence, look at the quantity and quality of docs added to the wiki in the
> last six months versus the work in the main docs.

Yes, we (the regulars that is) have worked really hard to make thw wiki a
productive, and viable method of collating new docs, as well as being able
to use it as a staging platform for the 'real docs'.  More so after the
difficulty we faced in getting the wiki setup in the first place.

I'm glad that the usefulness of the wiki has been realised.

> I'm not about to go deleting anything in the main docs. But if the
> material on the wiki becomes a superior superset of the rewriteguide, and
> nobody volunteers to push the material back to the main docs, I will be
> fully in favor of deleting the rewriteguide in the main docs and linking
> to the wiki.

I would be more than happy to move the wiki content to the docs xml format
should it be deemed the most appropriate location for it to be located.
Either in its entirety or in part.