httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [Issue] External links @ the wiki, aka pagechange wars
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 20:39:29 GMT
On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:15:56 -0500
"Webmaster" <webmaster@askapache.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've never used this list so bear with me, I couldn't get docs-help
> to send me help.    Its nice to know Apache has so many helpful
> people willing to discuss this situation, but why do I get the
> feeling that none of you have actually read the page in question?
> Here is the link that is causing all the commotion:
> http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-status-code-headers-errordocument.h
> tml I encourage you to read it and then you can understand my
> position.

OK, I just looked.  And to be brutal ...

WTF????

The first error is to call them "Apache Status Codes".
That's a nasty one to perpetrate on innocent newbies, because
it obscures what they really are, and misleads the reader.

First sentence: "There are a total of 57 HTTP Status Codes recognized
by the Apache Web Server."   Sorry, that's plain nonsense -
though at least it describes them correctly.

The article then suggests using any or all of them with Apache's
Redirect.  It does so without any attempt to explain the meaning
of any of the status codes, so it cannot be said to add anything
to Apache's default behaviour or the mod_alias documentation.
Rather it confuses the issue for readers who don't have sufficient
grasp of HTTP to see that it's gibberish.  The fact that Apache enables
you to shoot yourself in the foot is not a good reason to do so.

It then proceeds to list HTTP status codes, and gives an errordocument
for each one.  Unfortunately a number of them are bogus gibberish.

> After you read the article, how could you possibly say that it is
> spam? That is perhaps the most relevant article I've ever seen about
> Apache ErrorDocuments and more specifically, HTTP Status Codes.

Spam is not the right word.  But it's far too ill-informed and
misleading to give the implied endorsement of a link from an
official or semi-official Apache site.

I'm sure you could make a useful contribution if you want to.
But you're not ready to go solo.  So why not put your contents
(rather than links to it) on the wiki, where some of the regulars
can help improve it for everyone?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/