httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Guide to writing output filters
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:44:02 GMT
On 3/16/07, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> http://people.apache.org/~jorton/output-filters.html

I guess I'm confused about the up/down direction convention for output
filters?  I thought passing the next output filter is "down" and
returning to the prior input filter is "up"?

>a few examples:

>Generally, all metadata buckets should be passed up the filter chain
by an output filter.
"down the filter chain"

>Filters can create FLUSH buckets and pass these up the filter chain if desired.
"down the filter chain"

>An output filter should never pass an empty brigade up the filter chain.
"down the filter chain"

>/* Pass brigade upstream. */
>   rv = ap_pass_brigade(f->next, tmpbb);

/* Pass brigade downstream. */

minor grammatical tweaks:

>the number of times a filter is invoked for single response
"for a single response"

>The PIPE  bucket type is an example of a bucket type has an
indeterminate length;
"a bucket type which has an indeterminate length"

Possible confusion:

># Output filters which read all the buckets in a brigade must process
a fixed number of >buckets (or amount of data) at a time, to ensure
that memory consumption is not >proportional to the size of the
content being filtered.

This may be unclear, since you're not referring to buckets received on
input to the filter but buckets returned by bucket-read (after
morphing).

Perhaps "must process a fixed amount of data at a time" is less
subject to incorrect interpretation?

> How does this look?

It looks like a great start to me.

More detail about error handling would be invaluable.  Something that
has been a thorn in the past has been the two types of status and
understanding the limited relationship:

apr_status_t as returned by a filter
HTTP status as returned by a handler

What can a filter do to influence HTTP status (set r->status on first
invocation for a response?)?  What will be logged if a filter returns
non-APR_SUCCESS?