httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Meaning of man/man8/?
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:03:13 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> Ok, I think you are right and they have mixed usage. Compiling a module
> would be done by a user whereas installing it might be a task reserved to root.
> Would it make sense to move ap[ru]-1-config and apxs to build/?

AFA apxs is concerned; IMHO, no.  The user wants to find apxs without
any extra 'magic'.  It belongs on the path where they can find the
default apxs associated with the system httpd.  (Or they have a second
httpd installed in /usr/local/, and they have /usr/local/bin first
in their path.)

Ditto ap[ru]-1-config, and to state it again; we have no say - if you
want to move that around, please take that discussion to dev@apr.
I know it would be vetoed for the remaining lifespan of 0.9/1.x, but
anythings up for consideration with 2.0.  But you are thinking very
httpd-centric :)