httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Meaning of man/man8/?
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:23:11 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 03/29/2007 12:57 PM, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>>
>> Together with the decision for .8 vs. .1, I suggest to adapt the
>> sbin/ vs. bin/ installation directories. Traditionally, these user
>> programs were installed in sbin/ too; but IMO binaries for general
>> interest should go to bin/ (and thus get their man page in man1/)
>> and server related things should go to sbin/ (and get their man
>> pages provided in man8/).

Ding ding ding!  Thank you - the difference is clear now.

> As far as I can tell currently all binaries go to bin/.
> But +1 to separate them correctly between bin/ and sbin/ and putting
> their man pages into the correct section.
>
> So I would propose to install
>
> httpd
> rotatelogs
> apachectl
> htcacheclean
> suexec
> checkgid
> fcgistarter
>
> into sbin/ and move ab.8 and logresolve.8 to section 1 of the man pages.

I agree with all of the above.

> logresolve
> apxs
> apu-1-config

apxs, apu-1-config aren't related to running binaries, in fact aren't
even related to 'running the server'.  ap[ru]-1-config I would outright
veto (not even httpd's place, and they are userspace libraries), while
root manages everything in the first group, the second group are user
space tools, or are multipurpose (logresolve).

So if we retain the second group in man1, bin/, extending it to include;

ab
dbmmanage
htdbm
htdigest
htpasswd
httxt2dbm

as is, today, then I'm +1 with the suggestion.

Bill