httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Apache took over my PC :)
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:16:13 GMT

An OS-savy friend just tossed me an inquiry of 'why is Apache.exe running on
this PC?'  Phrased just a bit more clearly than 'why did Apache take over my
computer?' but I trusted him to know the difference, so we started digging.

Apparently, NVIDIA's Forceware Network Access Manager installs it's own copy
of Apache 2.0.52 running as user LocalSystem (no apparent "Apache" service)
in Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2
and uninstalling Forceware does remove this Apache2 server.

Of course, the question arises, how many other products are bundling Apache2
and leading to the litany of 'Apache took over my PC!' reports?

I'm suggesting a page of products known to bundle Apache HTTP Server, to help
users identify what's caused Apache.exe to be running on their PC.  Looking
for suggestions of where that page should land?  Maybe even on the Wiki?

An equivalent of rpm --what-provides would be sooo handy here.  In 20/20
hindsight, the rename of Apache.exe to httpd.exe was a great idea ;-)