httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Jorge Schrauwen" <jorge.schrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache took over my PC :)
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:15:27 GMT
That why I never installed the NAM on my nForce 4 mobo...
My new nForce 680i doesn't use an Apache server instance when in
stalling the entire driver so thats and A+ on that :)

Good Idea about the list I remember some loganilizer i tried had it
also i'll dig around to see if I can still find out which one it was.

PS: do mail server with integrated webmail count too? @mail uses
apache for it's webmail

On 3/22/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Added;
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/Info/ThirdPartyBundled
>
> which should let more users amend this list with their observations
> and research.
>
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > An OS-savy friend just tossed me an inquiry of 'why is Apache.exe running on
> > this PC?'  Phrased just a bit more clearly than 'why did Apache take over my
> > computer?' but I trusted him to know the difference, so we started digging.
> >
> > Apparently, NVIDIA's Forceware Network Access Manager installs it's own copy
> > of Apache 2.0.52 running as user LocalSystem (no apparent "Apache" service)
> > in Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2
> > and uninstalling Forceware does remove this Apache2 server.
> >
> > Of course, the question arises, how many other products are bundling Apache2
> > and leading to the litany of 'Apache took over my PC!' reports?
> >
> > I'm suggesting a page of products known to bundle Apache HTTP Server, to help
> > users identify what's caused Apache.exe to be running on their PC.  Looking
> > for suggestions of where that page should land?  Maybe even on the Wiki?
> >
> > An equivalent of rpm --what-provides would be sooo handy here.  In 20/20
> > hindsight, the rename of Apache.exe to httpd.exe was a great idea ;-)

~Jorge