httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Guide to writing output filters
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:58:19 GMT
Again, thanks for the review!

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 07:44:02AM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> I guess I'm confused about the up/down direction convention for output
> filters?  I thought passing the next output filter is "down" and
> returning to the prior input filter is "up"?

My confusion - I always think about filters in terms of the call stack,
where ap_pass_brigade passes brigades "up" the stack.

> More detail about error handling would be invaluable.  Something that
> has been a thorn in the past has been the two types of status and
> understanding the limited relationship:
>
> apr_status_t as returned by a filter
> HTTP status as returned by a handler
>
> What can a filter do to influence HTTP status (set r->status on first
> invocation for a response?)?  What will be logged if a filter returns
> non-APR_SUCCESS?

Excellent questions for which I lack excellent answers :)

Also: is it better to use the elusive HTTP error bucket rather than
setting r->status?  What should filters do with apr_bucket_read()
errors?  Must filters _cleanup() the brigade before returning an error?
(there is a bug in bugzilla caused by that one IIRC)

joe