httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <>
Subject Re: [Httpd Wiki] Update of "Recipes/CanonicalHostNames" by slive
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 21:35:25 GMT
On 1/30/07, Vincent Bray <> wrote:

> The change I made was a result of a user in #apache getting confused
> about the default vhost part. He already had a default vhost (debian
> config) and didn't want to edit it to redirect non-canonical hostnames
> for a single vhost. This makes sense when you apply this config
> pattern to multiple hostname combinations. Here's the conversation, up
> to you if you want to remove the default vhost comment.

I've tried to clarify it.  But I think it is important to mention the
default host issue, because it should be considered a "best practice"
to canonicalize requests for this host.  Otherwise, requests coming in
using the IP address or other non-handled names wind up being dealt
with improperly.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message