httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to do with changed generated files?
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:19:23 GMT

On 02/23/2007 07:50 AM, Mads Toftum wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 11:16:25PM -0500, Sander Temme wrote:
>
>>1) Commit inadvertedly changed generated files with ones own change?
>

> Not the best way - it gets a bit messy that way.
>

>>2) Commit own change, its generated files, and then commit inadvertedly
>>   changed generated files under separate cover?
>

> I think that would be the preferred option.
>

>>3) Commit just ones own change and its generated files?
>

> That's ok too if you're unsure about what else is being picked up or
> worried that there might be an error in it.
>

>>4) Commit just ones own change and leave it to someone else to generate
>>   the HTML?
>>

> That does happen at times when people have trouble generating the html,
> but with Andre not going through and picking up everyone elses mess as
> often as he used to, that isn't fabulous.

I think there might be a fifth option:

Commit your own changes to xml
Commit the generated files in a second step

For me building the generated files is some sort of compiling and personally
I never check the changes done by such commits.
Just my 0.02 cents.
BTW: Even if the generated files only contain changes caused by my own changes
to the xml files I used to commit the changes to the generated files as a separate commit,
following my first one containing only the xml changes. Is this ok or do people
prefer if I commit them in one step in the future?

Regards

RĂ¼diger