httpd-docs mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: What to do with changed generated files?
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:12:22 GMT
* Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> I think there might be a fifth option:
>
> Commit your own changes to xml
> Commit the generated files in a second step
>
> For me building the generated files is some sort of compiling and
> personally I never check the changes done by such commits.
> Just my 0.02 cents.
> BTW: Even if the generated files only contain changes caused by my own
> changes to the xml files I used to commit the changes to the generated
> files as a separate commit, following my first one containing only the
> xml changes. Is this ok or do people prefer if I commit them in one step
> in the future?

The two-step-approach is actually the better one. We have kind of an
automatic translation change tracker which works with revision numbers in
the files. These numbers change after the first commit. When you run `build
all` then, all newly outdated translations are marked (via .xml.meta) and
the accompanying html files are rebuilt, too -> second commit.

If it's all happening during one commit, nothing really breaks, though. The
next one building all (or just his own language) will build the changed
files (or just for his own language) and commit them.

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";

# André Malo, <http://www.perlig.de/> #