httpd-docs mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@reppep.com>
Subject Significance of evaluation order?
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:53:17 GMT
	I (again) banged my head against Order today.
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_access_compat.html#order>
says:

>Deny,Allow
>The Deny directives are evaluated before the Allow directives.
>Access is allowed by default. Any client which does not match a Deny
>directive or does match an Allow directive will be allowed access to
>the server.

	I'm used to 'evaluated before' meaning first match applies
(firewall style), and any later matches never being checked.

	I can't figure out how 'before' is relevant in this sentence,
since all Allow matches are checked, even if a Deny matches ('before'
the Allow match).

	Is there a meaning to 'before' I'm just not getting, or can
this be removed as confusing?? Is it a historical artifact having to
do with code internals, and not relevant to .conf syntax?

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>