httpd-docs mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Re: Compiling and Installing document
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:51:44 GMT
On 11/10/06, Vincent Bray <noodlet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:
> > On 11/10/06, Vincent Bray <noodlet@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html
> > >
> > > Is "Apache HTTPd" an old name now? It's used in multiple places in
> > > this document in contrast to "Apache HTTP Server".
> >
> > We've never really settled on how we refer to it in the docs.  I find
> > "Apache HTTP Server" to be too long to use in some places, but it is
> > the official name.  You'll also find "Apache httpd" and just plain
> > "Apache" in some places.  I don't particularly like "Apache HTTPd".
>
> I agree. Is it worth replacing Apache HTTPd with Apache httpd or
> should this wait for a consensus?
>

> > > There's a typo in the "apr/apr-util >= 1.2" section (seperate).
> > >
> > > Also in this section, there's no mention of the new
> > > --with-included-apr configure option which makes the example build
> > > instructions obsolete. What's the policy here? Should the example be
> > > removed and replaced with --with-included-apr or should the < 2.2.3
> > > instructions be kept?
> >
> > Put the new method with a note that it is available only starting in 2.2.3.
>
> By note, do you mean a pullout box like the note atop the
> mod_vhost_alias docs? I'm rather new to the style of these docs so
> excuse my silly questions.
>
> Here's a first pop, I'm not too happy with it though.

There's no particular problem with that patch; it could be committed
as-is.  But if you'd like to improve it, I'd remove the example for
--with-included-apr (since it is just a single option, an example
seems like overkill) and I'd make the <note> into a simple bracketed
expression on the same line.  (I reserve <note> for really important
stuff.  This is just a quick compat warning.)

Oh, and no point waiting for a consensus on anything in doc land.
Just give it a try and see if people scream ;-)

Joshua.